London Drivers Face £12.50 Daily Ulez Charge – Activists Strike Back
From August 29, Greater London drivers in non-compliant vehicles will be slugged a hefty £12.50 daily charge under the Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) expansion. The move has sparked fierce backlash, with activists reportedly sabotaging Ulez cameras across the city.
Balaclava-Wearing ‘Blade Runner’ Vows to Tear Down Every Ulez Camera
A masked vandal in his mid-40s, claiming to be part of a group called the Blade Runners, told MailOnline he’s personally dismantled 34 cameras. “We are going to take down every single one, no matter what,” he declared.
He added, “The damage is far greater than what [officials] have stated. It’s at least a few hundred.” The protestors have been snipping wires, hammering, painting over, disabling cameras electronically, and unbolting device components.
“We use the very same tools they use to install them to remove them. This isn’t what we want – it’s an attempt to limit our mobility. F*** them. It will not occur because we have done nothing to merit it,” he said defiantly.
Authorities Warn Criminal Damage Could Be Investigated
Scotland Yard said no investigations into Ulez camera damage have begun yet. A Met spokeswoman warned: “There is the possibility that potential offences such as criminal damage or theft will be investigated.”
By March 21, 43 incidents of vandalism or theft of Ulez cameras had been reported to the Mayor’s office. A spokesperson for Sadiq Khan slammed the attacks: “It is deeply disappointing to see opposition to a policy being used as an excuse for criminal damage. This petty vandalism of London’s essential transport infrastructure is completely unacceptable.”
They added, “Of course, people have the right to peacefully and legally oppose policies, but criminal harm is never acceptable.”
Political Uproar as Sutton Council and Tory MPs Challenge Ulez Expansion
On August 29, Sutton Council launched a petition asking the mayor to “think again” about extending the Ulez. Dozens of anti-Ulez protesters disrupted a council meeting, drowning out supporters amid raucous scenes.
The borough’s Tory MPs, Paul Scully and Elliot Colburn, said they are “exploring” if the Government can block the mayor’s expansion plans. This challenges Transport Secretary Mark Harper’s statement last week, affirming Khan’s legal right to install Ulez cameras and signs across outer boroughs – despite local opposition.