Motorists are being warned to expect further delays on the A31 in Hampshire despite the road reopening in both directions following the major heathland fire earlier this month.

National Highways says lane one of the westbound A31 remains closed to provide Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service with access to and from a new control point.

A temporary 50mph speed limit is also in force on the westbound carriageway.

The restrictions follow a vehicle fire on Sunday, 9 August, which spread from the A31 to surrounding heathland and led to significant disruption and damage.

Restrictions remain eastbound

On the eastbound carriageway, motorists are being directed through narrower lanes, with a temporary 40mph speed limit remaining in force.

National Highways said the restrictions are necessary because of the temporary vehicle restraint system installed following the fire.

Although the A31 has now reopened in both directions, further work is still required, with permanent repairs scheduled to take place in September.

Drivers travelling through the area should allow additional time for their journeys and follow the temporary speed restrictions.

National Highways’ 24-hour contact centre can be reached on 0300 123 5000 for the latest information.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :Fire

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE