The Proclaimers banned from King Charles’ coronation playlist over republican rant
Proclaimers dumped from royal playlist
The Proclaimers have been ditched from the official soundtrack for King Charles’ coronation on May 6 at Westminster Abbey. Their iconic tune “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” was initially included alongside British legends like Queen, The Beatles, Tom Jones, David Bowie, Kate Bush, and Emeli Sandé.
Anti-royalist views spark backlash
The band’s removal came after they publicly backed a republican protester who shouted during King Charles’ proclamation last year. Charlie Reid, one half of the duo, said the protester’s question, “Who elected him?” echoed the feelings of many across the UK.
“He spoke for me and others who don’t support the monarchy,” Reid told The National.
However, UK officials deemed this stance too controversial. Complaints poured in, leading to the Proclaimers’ swift removal from the coronation playlist.
Dissent silenced at royal pomp
While the government aims to keep the coronation drama-free, critics warn this move stifles free speech. The Proclaimers’ ousting sends a clear signal: anti-monarchy sentiments won’t be tolerated, even in Britain’s so-called democracy.
Proclaimers’ complicated royal record
Ironically, The Proclaimers haven’t always slammed the monarchy. Their 2007 track “In Recognition” slammed left-wing critics who “snipe against the royal family” but still take royal honours. Despite past support for royal events—like the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012—their recent republican stance has cost them dearly this time around.