Tragedy at Waterworld: Girl, 4, Dies in Shock Pool Incident
A full health and safety investigation has been launched after a four-year-old girl tragically died at Waterworld, the popular Hanley-based water park. The heartbreaking accident happened on Monday afternoon (4 August) in the Lagoon area of the park.
Claims of Overcrowding and Lifeguard Shortages
Eyewitnesses blasted Waterworld for being “rammed” and severely understaffed. Locals say there simply aren’t enough lifeguards, especially during peak times. One visitor told our reporters: “The lifeguards do a great job, but there just aren’t enough of them. It’s always packed and it worries me for the kids’ safety.”
Emergency Services Responded Quickly
Paramedics and emergency staff rushed to the scene at about 4:20pm after reports of the girl in distress. Despite their desperate efforts, medics were unable to save her. West Midlands Ambulance Service said:
“Despite the best efforts of staff, bystanders, and medical professionals, nothing could be done to save the little girl. Our thoughts are with the family and friends at this truly awful time.”
Investigation Underway – Calls for Answers
Staffordshire Council confirmed their environmental health team is working alongside police and Waterworld management to carry out a full probe into the incident.
Lord Mayor Steve Watkins expressed his condolences, saying:
“This is a devastating tragedy. Our hearts go out to the family and loved ones.”
Waterworld has faced safety scrutiny before. Last year, concerns were raised over lifeguard numbers and crowd management. Authorities are appealing for anyone with information about the incident to come forward.
A Waterworld spokesperson said the venue will fully cooperate with the investigation and review safety protocols to prevent future heartbreak.