North Korea Boasts Successful Multiwarhead Missile Test – But Seoul and Tokyo Disagree

North Korea claims it has nailed a test of a deadly multiwarhead missile, a game-changing weapon that could outsmart US missile defences. But South Korea and Japan say it all went belly-up.

Pyongyang’s Bold Claims vs Reality

State news agency KCNA reported on Wednesday that North Korea “successfully conducted the separation and guidance control test of individual mobile warheads.” The agency says three warheads hit their targets with pinpoint accuracy, and a decoy also fooled radars.

This test is all about mastering MIRV (Multiple Independently Targetable Reentry Vehicle) tech, allowing multiple warheads to strike separate targets from a single missile. This would seriously boost North Korea’s strike power.

Kim Jong Un’s Military Modernisation Drive

The Supreme Leader has been pushing hard to upgrade North Korea’s arsenal. Back in early 2021, he mentioned moves to develop spy satellites, solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missiles, hypersonic weapons, and subs-launched missiles. Experts say this recent test is just the first step – more trials are expected.

Ankit Panda, senior analyst at Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said: “I had been anticipating a MIRV test for some time now, as this was one of the last remaining items on Kim Jong Un’s modernisation wish list from the Eighth Party Congress back in January 2021.”

Seoul and Washington Slam the Launch as a Failure and Deception

South Korean and US military chiefs claim the missile blew up almost immediately after launch, flatly contradicting North Korea’s version. Lee Sung-joon, spokesman for South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, dismissed Pyongyang’s claims as “simply a means of deception and exaggeration.”

Experts analyzing official photos taken during the test say they are likely faked or recycled from past launches.

International Outrage and Rising Tensions

The test triggered sharp condemnations across Seoul, Washington, and Tokyo. They accuse North Korea of violating multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions and raising a serious security threat.

This comes shortly after Kim Jong Un met with Russian President Vladimir Putin and signed a mutual defence pact, stirring further unease.

This MIRV missile test is North Korea’s first weapons launch since firing nuclear-capable multiple rocket launchers almost a month ago, simulating a strike on South Korea. The North has also sent rubbish-filled balloons across the border in retaliation after activists from the South sent political leaflets north via balloons.

South Korea has recently resumed propaganda loudspeaker broadcasts at the border for the first time in years, heightening tensions further.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE