Killer Knifeman Jailed for Stabbing Outside Newcastle Bar
Anthony Stephenson has been locked up for six years after launching a brutal knife attack outside Central Bar in Newcastle in 2019. The 42-year-old threatened to “murder” his victim before stabbing him in the chest. The horrifying assault happened on October 13 last year.
Hero Bystander Risks Life to Stop Attack
As Stephenson brandished the knife, a brave Good Samaritan stepped in to stop him. The courageous man suffered serious finger cuts that needed surgery but helped prevent a far worse assault.
Stephenson then went back inside the bar to try and ditch the weapon under a table. But police found the knife, with his DNA and the victim’s blood still on it.
Stephenson Sentenced to Six Years Behind Bars
At Newcastle Crown Court, Stephenson pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and unlawful wounding. He was sentenced to six years in prison, plus an extra four years on licence.
“This was an incredibly serious and unprovoked attack,” said Detective Constable Gareth Welsh. “Newcastle is a safe and friendly city, and it’s vital people like Stephenson are taken off our streets. The Good Samaritan showed incredible bravery, risking injury to protect the victim — his actions prevented a potentially worse attack.”
The court heard Stephenson initially approached the victim inside the bar but caused no trouble. After closing time, he confronted the group again, pulled a knife, and stabbed the man in the chest.
Victim Left Traumatised by Knife Attack
The victim described lasting trauma from the stabbing. “I’m regularly having flashbacks and struggling to sleep. Seeing strangers with their hands in pockets makes me paranoid and anxious about what might happen,” he said.
Detective Welsh added: “We will not tolerate violent incidents like this. Stephenson’s sentence sends a clear message — carrying weapons will be dealt with robustly. Our city is safer with him behind bars.”