Family Still Waiting for Key Evidence Over Dagenham Shooting

The family of Giedrius Vasiljevas, 40, shot dead by police in Dagenham over a year ago, are still in the dark. Vital evidence including the post-mortem report and body-worn camera footage has not been fully handed over, sparking fears that the upcoming inquest could be delayed.

Year On, Crucial Evidence Withheld

Mr Vasiljevas was fatally shot by officers at his Weston Green home in Dagenham on November 23, 2023. Despite the passage of time, his relatives have yet to receive key documents like the police watchdog’s investigation report and full bodycam videos.

At a hearing on Monday, March 17, family lawyer Maya Sikand KC warned the court of potential delays. “We literally have nothing other than the 100-page medical report,” she said. “I’m becoming anxious about whether the inquest can go ahead as planned.”

Family Furious Over Limited Access

The family had only been offered restricted viewing of the body-worn footage – no full access or copies. Ms Sikand slammed the police for the slow drip-feed of information, calling the footage “fundamental” to understanding what happened.

“We need schedules of all used and unused evidence from the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) to know what exists,” she told the court. “We still don’t have the post-mortem report, and there should be no reason for that.”

Coroner Voices Frustration at ‘Scant’ Evidence

Senior East London Coroner Graeme Irvine echoed concerns about the sluggish disclosure process. So far, only basic pieces like 14 anonymised police statements, two senior officer statements, some transcripts, and computer logs have been submitted.

“The current evidence is rather scant in its scope,” Irvine said. He also flagged worries over the accuracy of transcripts after family members spotted inconsistencies in the footage.

Met Ordered to Speed Up Evidence Sharing

Responding to court pressure, the Metropolitan Police Service must complete a security check of evidence lists and disclose them within a week, ensuring sensitive info like firearms officers’ identities remains protected. Full document clearance has a 28-day deadline.

A further pre-inquest review is set for May 2. The court will decide if enough progress has been made to keep the inquest scheduled for October on track.

Met Police rep Ruby Shrimpton promised: “One of the priorities we will be considering is getting the material to the family as soon as it is possible to do so.”

The upcoming inquest will explore Mr Vasiljevas’s mental health, the police response, and whether failings on either side led to his death. Meanwhile, his family has filed a misconduct complaint against the Met, though details remain under wraps.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :CrimePolice

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE