Man Jailed for Life Over Murder of His Seven-Year-Old Daughter

A father has been locked up for a minimum of 24 years after pleading guilty to strangling his seven-year-old daughter. Robert Peters, 56, from Raynes Park, was sentenced at the Old Bailey on Monday 30 April.

Horrific Crime Shocks Family and Community

Detective Inspector Helen Rance, who led the investigation, described the case as truly dreadful. “Sophia Peters was a loving and much-loved child,” she said. “Her death has devastated everyone who knew her — from family to school friends and teachers.”

“The first officers on scene faced the nightmare of a child who had been strangled,” said DI Rance. “They did all they could to save her. This case has left a huge impact on all involved and is one we will never forget.”

Chilling Details of the Attack

On the morning of 3 November 2017, Peters was left in charge of Sophia. He later admitted planning the murder weeks in advance, waiting for the right moment. When the house was empty, he strangled her with a dressing-gown belt.

He called 999 at 08:01, confessing, “There’s a murder… I have killed a child.” Officers arrived to find Peters waiting with Sophia upstairs. Paramedics tried to revive her before rushing her to St George’s Hospital, but she died the following day.

Family’s Heartbreaking Reaction

Sophia’s mother, Krittiya Peters, spoke out after the sentence. “I am absolutely devastated and struggling to come to terms with this. I feel betrayed and angry at my husband, who should have protected our family,” she stated.

“My priority now is to stay positive. We need peace and tranquillity. The press interest is stressful — I ask to be left alone to grieve with our family.”

Justice Served

Peters initially tried to claim diminished responsibility. But the court rejected this, sentencing him to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 24 years. The judge ruled the attack was calculated and cold-hearted.

Detective Inspector Rance added, “Sophia was vulnerable and should have been protected. Peters planned and executed this attack with cruel intent. Our thoughts remain with those affected as they try to move forward.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :CourtsCrime

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE