Police Save Woman After Brutal Hammer Attack in Southwark

A woman left fighting for her life after a savage hammer attack has praised the Metropolitan Police for their life-saving efforts during a terrifying early morning assault in Southwark.

Hammer Brutality and Knife Threats in Front of Children

Shortly after midnight on October 22, cops rushed to multiple 999 calls reporting a violent domestic incident. They arrived within minutes to find the victim collapsed in the street. She had been repeatedly bashed on the head with a hammer by 51-year-old Joel Victorious.

The horror didn’t stop there. Victorious also chased the victim and threatened her with knives — all in front of her own children.

Quick-Thinking Officers Administer Emergency Aid

Covered in blood and close to death, the victim was given emergency first aid at the scene. Officers also tended to Victorious, who had stabbed himself in a frenzied rage.

Life Sentence for Attacker Amid Met’s Drive Against Violence

Victorious, from Waleran Flats in Southwark, was later charged with attempted murder. On September 5, 2024, he was jailed for life at the Old Bailey.

This brutal case highlights the Metropolitan Police’s fierce commitment to tackling violence against women and girls. Under the New Met for London Plan, an extra 565 officers have been added to specialist teams focused on protecting vulnerable victims.

Police Praise and Victim Thanks

“This shocking case demonstrates the dedication and professionalism of the Metropolitan Police Service,” said Detective Inspector Andy Kinkead. “From the officers attending the scene to the detectives who built the case, expert support has continued for the family throughout this harrowing time.”

The victim said: “Their professionalism and bravery during an incredibly difficult time will forever be remembered.” She gave special thanks to DC Simone Kidd, who led the investigation to justice.

DC Kidd added, “I want to commend the victim for her bravery and for supporting this investigation to a positive outcome. I sincerely hope she can now move forward.”

This case stands as a stark reminder of the Met’s relentless work to protect families and ensure justice is served.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE