Thanet Man Jailed for Six Years After Bloodied Assault Leaves Victim Fighting for Life
A Thanet man has been locked up for six years after a brutal assault left his victim with serious injuries, including broken ribs and internal bleeding.
Knife-Wielding Attack in Margate Shocks Police
In the early hours of Friday 18 August, Kent Police were called to a disturbance at a property on Athelstan Road, Cliftonville, Margate.
When officers arrived, 40-year-old Stuart Rigden answered the door, casually claiming: “It’s all fine.” But blood stains on his clothes and the living room floor told a different story.
Inside another room, a man in his 30s lay unconscious, seriously injured. He was rushed to a London hospital with facial injuries, broken ribs, and internal bleeding.
Night of Drinking Turns Violent
Police investigations revealed Rigden and his victim knew each other. The pair had been out drinking in Ramsgate the night before the assault.
- The victim and Rigden argued at a bar, causing the victim to walk off.
- Two hours later, Rigden took a taxi back to their home and launched the savage attack.
Justice Served at Canterbury Crown Court
On Friday 4 May, Rigden, who has no fixed address, pled guilty to causing grievous bodily harm at Canterbury Crown Court.
He was sentenced to six years behind bars, ordered to pay a £170 victim surcharge, and slapped with a five-year restraining order preventing contact with the victim.
“The victim was subjected to a brutal attack and left unconscious by Rigden, who tried to suggest everything was fine when police came round,” said Detective Constable Kerry Whiting.
“The injuries sustained were serious. If left unattended, this could have ended far worse. I hope this court result brings reassurance to the victim. I thank him for supporting the investigation and wish him all the best for the future.”