Ulez Legal Battle Heats Up: Five Councils Granted Green Light
Five councils – Bexley, Bromley, Harrow, Hillingdon, and Surrey – have won the right to take their fight against Sadiq Khan’s Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) expansion to court. The High Court has ruled there’s enough evidence for a judicial review, putting the Mayor’s controversial plan under fresh scrutiny.
What’s at Stake? Full London Ulez Expansion on the Line
The Ulez currently covers the area between London’s North and South Circular roads, but Khan wants to expand it to cover all of Greater London from August 29. This would slap a daily charge of £12.50 on non-compliant vehicles entering the zone, hitting families, small businesses, and tradespeople hard.
But with the judicial review trial scheduled for July, the expansion now faces serious trouble.
Legal Wrangles: Statutory Procedure Failings & Scrappage Scheme Snub
The court gave the go-ahead after ruling two major claims had solid grounds:
- Failure to follow statutory procedures: The councils argue the Ulez expansion isn’t just a tweak to the existing scheme but a completely new charge, which needs fresh approval.
- Scrappage scheme exclusion: The proposed £110m fund to help eligible Londoners scrap polluting vehicles doesn’t include people living outside London – and critics say there was no proper consultation on this.
Political Clash: Tories Slam Khan, Mayor Hits Back
Nick Rogers, the City Hall Conservatives’ transport spokesman, declared: “The Mayor clearly lacks the legal justification to pursue his Ulez tax plans, which would take money from charities, small businesses, and low-income Londoners who cannot afford a new car.” He demanded Khan halt the expansion immediately and face the court’s questions.
Orpington Tory MP Gareth Bacon said: “Today’s decision is a significant step forward. Sadiq Khan arrogantly dismissed this legal challenge and ignored outer Londoners’ concerns during the consultation. He still has time to cancel Ulez expansion and save residents £12.50 a day.”
Louie French, Tory MP for Old Bexley and Sidcup, called it a “big first win!” and added the hashtag #Khanmustgo.
Meanwhile, Khan’s team insisted most claims were rejected and vowed to vigorously defend the expansion. A spokeswoman said:
“Every year, around 4,000 Londoners die prematurely due to air pollution. This is a public health emergency. The Mayor will not stand by while Londoners face stunted lungs, heart disease, cancer, and dementia from toxic air.”
Tensions Rise: Khan Accuses Protesters of Far-Right Infiltration
The expansion plan has stoked fierce backlash. In a shocking twist, Khan claimed Nazi elements and conspiracy theorists have infiltrated anti-Ulez protests, along with “decent Tories.”
He also branded some opponents “far-Right” at a heckled public meeting last month, fuelling the row even further.
Former Mayor Boris Johnson Joins the Outcry
Boris Johnson weighed in, warning Khan’s move will “hit hardworking families and businesses in outer London with an unfair tax grab.” The controversy shows no signs of fading as the legal showdown looms closer.