Bristol Rioter Ryan Roberts Jailed 14 Years for Brutal Police Attack and Arson

First Riot Conviction in South West: Ryan Roberts Locked Up After Brutal Police Attack

Ryan Roberts, a man with no fixed address, has become the first person in the South West to be found guilty of the new offence of riot. The verdict came following a high-profile trial last October.

Violent Rampage: Assaults, Arson, and Mayhem

Roberts didn’t just stop at riot. He was convicted of five offences including attempted arson with intent to endanger life and multiple counts of reckless arson. The chaos unfolded in March during a months-long police investigation.

At Bristol Crown Court on Friday 17 December, Judge James Patrick slammed Roberts for his “leading role” in the violent attack on Bridewell Police Station. The judge described how Roberts “actively assaulted officers” and “used the uncontrollable weapon of fire.”

Shocking Evidence: CCTV Shows Roberts’ Fury

The jury saw a 34-minute video compilation featuring CCTV, mobile phone clips, and officers’ body-worn camera footage. Roberts was caught on camera hurling missiles at police, kicking shields, and attacking cops with his hands.

  • He tried multiple times to set a police van ablaze, with officers trapped inside.
  • At one point, Roberts threatened to blow the van up.
  • He battered an officer with a police baton and damaged three police vehicles.
  • He moved bins and set them on fire next to police cars, even throwing large metal fences at police lines.

News footage also captured Roberts holding burning cardboard under a police van as it reversed, with seven officers inside.

Terrifying Victim Statements Reveal Officers’ Horror

Officers testified about fearing for their lives during the brutal attack. One said:

“I was sat in a van and heard over the radio that my van was on fire. I sat there unable to move, with tyres let down, windows blocked, and doors bolted. I wondered how to escape as smoke filled the van.”

Another officer revealed:

“I had to decide whether to stay in a burning van or risk being dragged into a hostile crowd and seriously assaulted. That’s not a choice anyone should have to make.”

Police Statement: Justice for the Brave Officers

Detective Superintendent James Riccio said Roberts’ actions “escalated the violence” and highlighted the bravery of officers targeted that night. He added:

“These officers come to work to serve and protect the public. Their victim statements show the deep physical and psychological scars caused by that terrible night.”

Riccio also confirmed the investigation is ongoing. “We are determined to identify all those involved and ensure justice is served,” he said.

So far, 12 people linked to the riot have been sentenced, collectively handed nearly 50 years behind bars.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE