Armed Brixton Man Jailed for 16 Years After Ammonia Attack on Police

James Boyle, 22, of Pulross Road, Brixton, was locked up for 16 years at Kingston Crown Court on March 13. He pleaded guilty back in November 2022 to a terrifying spree of offences, including:

  • Administering poison with intent
  • Possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear
  • Using a firearm with intent
  • Assault causing actual bodily harm
  • Possession of a knife and an axe
  • Carrying corrosive substances in public

Ammonia Spray Attack on Officer

The drama unfolded shortly after midnight on June 17, 2022, in Mitcham. Police were called to reports of suspicious activity at Commonside East. PC Samuel Goard confronted Boyle, asking him to remove his hands from his pockets. Instead, Boyle whipped out a bottle and sprayed ammonia directly into PC Goard’s face.

Despite being blinded in one eye, PC Goard fought back with PAVA spray, forcing Boyle to flee.

PC Samuel Goard said: “At the time, I feared for my life. I didn’t know what had been sprayed at me – acid, ammonia or something worse. I thought about my son and whether he would recognise me if I came home disfigured.”

Armed Chase and Narrow Escape

Joined by PC George Garner, the officers gave chase. Boyle pulled a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at them – but didn’t fire – before making a getaway on foot.

PC George Garner revealed: “When he pulled the gun on me, I felt powerless. I had to let him run away. I keep thinking, if it’s that easy to threaten a police officer, what could he do to an innocent member of the public?”

Evidence Led to Arrest and Conviction

Detectives analysed CCTV footage and tracked Boyle down, arresting him on June 24, 2022. Officers found a knife, axe, and a bottle of ammonia in his rucksack. A grey tracksuit top found at his home matched the one in police body cam footage.

Forensic tests matched the ammunition and the ammonia bottle to Boyle. Investigations also revealed the firearm had been discharged prior to police arriving.

Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Woodsford said: “Boyle is an extremely dangerous offender. The overwhelming evidence forced him to plead guilty. We’re relieved the officers involved weren’t seriously injured – they put their lives on the line routinely, but no one should face assault while doing their duty.”

“Tackling violent crime and abuse of emergency workers remains a top priority. We will always act tough against offenders like Boyle.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE