Essex Teen Jailed for Stabbing Death of Benjamin “Benji” Orton
Erik Rudaks, 17, from Essex Drive, Church Gresley, was today sentenced for the manslaughter of Benjamin Orton. The verdict came after a three-week trial at Derby Crown Court, where Rudaks was found guilty in December.
Fatal Knife Attack Near Cinema
Benjamin, known as Benji to his friends and family, was attacked late on Saturday 12 June on Wragg Passage, close to the Odeon cinema. He and his 20-year-old friend were viciously stabbed. Benjamin suffered 13 stab wounds — including two that punctured his heart and right lung — and died at the scene. His friend survived five stab wounds to the head and neck but remains seriously injured.
Other Teens Cleared Amid Knife Crime Tragedy
The 17-year-old Rudaks, who was 16 at the time, denied killing Benjamin. He was cleared of murder, attempted murder, and causing grievous bodily harm with intent but had admitted possessing a knife. Two other 17-year-olds were also cleared of all charges related to the attack, including assisting an offender.
Following a court request, the judge lifted reporting restrictions around Rudaks’ identity, previously protected due to his age.
Family and Police Speak Out on Knife Crime
“Our family will never be the same again,” said Amanda Orton-Taylor, Benjamin’s mother. “Losing Ben has left a huge void in our lives that can never be filled — it’s like a missing piece of a jigsaw puzzle. Nothing can bring him back. I just hope other youngsters understand how dangerous knives are so tragedies like this stop.”
Detective Inspector Steve Shaw, who led the investigation, said: “Ben was much loved and can never be replaced. While today’s sentence brings some justice, no punishment can bring him back.”
“This case starkly shows the deadly risks of carrying knives. They’re not for show or protection — they’re lethal weapons that can end lives in seconds. We must tackle this as a community. If anyone has information about knife crime, please come forward.”