Man Stabbed to Death in Camden Park
Detectives have launched a murder probe after a man was found dead in Camden’s St Martin’s Gardens. Police are urgently hunting witnesses to piece together what happened.
The Fatal Incident
At 1.35pm on Wednesday, 10 April, police were called to the park following a report from the London Ambulance Service. Paramedics treated the man at the scene before rushing him to hospital.
Despite their best efforts, the 55-year-old victim, identified as local man Mark Carroll, died later that day. His family has been informed and are receiving support from specialist officers.
Stabbed, Not Heart Attack
Initially thought to have suffered a cardiac arrest, further medical checks revealed Mr Carroll had been stabbed. Witnesses told officers they saw a man making slashing gestures towards Mark and a friend just before the attack.
A 19-year-old was swiftly arrested nearby on suspicion of murder and remains in custody. A knife has been recovered and sent for forensic analysis.
Police Urge Witnesses to Come Forward
Detective Chief Inspector Neil Rawlinson said: “We believe more people saw what happened or the events leading up to it. If you were near St Martin’s Gardens between 1pm and 2pm, please get in touch.”
“We’re reviewing CCTV and ask anyone with video doorbells or dash cams nearby to check their footage. It’s vital we gather all evidence to bring justice.”
Superintendent Annmarie Cowley added: “Our thoughts are with Mark’s family. This violent attack in a public park shocks the community. Extra officers are on patrol as we continue the investigation. Please come forward if you have any information.”
How to Help
- If you witnessed the stabbing or have information, call police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting CAD 3650/10Apr.
- To stay anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
The investigation continues as police maintain a crime scene in St Martin’s Gardens.