Families left furious after driver behind school party crash escapes charges due to epileptic seizure
The heartbroken families of two young girls killed in a shocking car crash at a school party have slammed the decision not to press criminal charges against the driver. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) revealed the motorist suffered an epileptic seizure, sparing her legal action.
Epileptic seizure blamed for deadly crash
Claire Freemantle, 47, was driving her Land Rover near The Study Prep school in Wimbledon, south-west London, on July 6 last year. She suddenly had a seizure, causing her vehicle to smash through a fence and crash into the school’s end-of-term celebration. Eight-year-old pupils Nuria Sajjad and Selena Lau died instantly, with over a dozen others injured in the terrifying incident.
Ms Freemantle was arrested at the scene but later diagnosed with a seizure causing loss of consciousness—a condition she says she never had before. “I have no recollection of the event,” she said, expressing deep sorrow for the victims’ families.
Families demand justice and answers
The CPS decision not to proceed with charges has left the families devastated and questioning the police investigation. Their lawyer Trevor Sterling slammed the outcome. He said: “Justice must not only be done but seen to be done. If there’s no criminal process, how can this evidence be properly examined? What message does it send that fatal crashes on our roads might bring no sanctions?”
In a powerful joint statement, Nuria and Selena’s parents blasted the system: “We were all in the safest place imaginable, celebrating with joy. But in a moment, our lives were shattered. Hundreds of people will never live ‘normal’ lives again. We trusted the system to protect victims and deliver justice – but we have been disappointed. The investigation’s depth is questionable, and we have seen no concrete evidence that it was thorough.”
Authorities respond amid public outrage
Chief Crown Prosecutor Jaswant Narwal confirmed meetings had taken place with the bereaved families and explained the decision to drop charges was based on medical evidence. She said their thoughts remain with all those affected.
Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland defended the investigation: “We understand some feel let down but the driver could not have predicted or prevented the seizure. For criminal charges to proceed, there must be proof of driver responsibility, which is absent here. Our officers exhausted every detail of the incident in their inquiry.”
Next stop: the inquest
The families and community now pin hopes on the upcoming inquest, where a jury will closely examine the evidence surrounding this tragic accident. The incident has left a scar on hundreds – and justice feels miles away.
As the school community tries to heal, Nuria and Selena’s families vow to keep fighting for answers and accountability in the wake of their devastating loss.