Five Jailed After £112 Million Cocaine Haul Seized from Yacht
Five men have been convicted for attempting to smuggle 1.4 tonnes of cocaine worth a staggering £112 million into the UK. The drugs were hidden aboard a 60ft catamaran intercepted by authorities.
Massive Drug Bust Off UK Coast
The UK nationals Nigel Clark (64) and Dean Waters (59), both living in Estepona, Spain, along with Dutchman Raymond Dijkstra (27), were found guilty at Bristol Crown Court after a five-week trial. Meanwhile, Estonian Richard Must (49) and Latvian Voldermars Gailis (21) had already pleaded guilty earlier.
The National Crime Agency (NCA) led the operation in cooperation with Border Force, Devon and Cornwall Police, and international partners including the Irish Navy and Air Corps. On August 29, 2018, the Border Force cutter HMC Vigilant intercepted the yacht SY Nomad en route from Suriname to the UK.
Drugs Hidden in Locked Storage Containers
The yacht was escorted into Newlyn Harbour, Cornwall, where the three men on board—Must, Gailis, and Dijkstra—were arrested. A swift search uncovered more than 1,400 kilos of cocaine stashed in locked containers, with a wholesale value of £44.9 million and street value topping £112 million.
Detailed Smuggling Plot Uncovered
Later that day, NCA officers arrested Clark and Waters, who had been under surveillance for two days. Waters had recently acquired a rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB) called Brenda’s Pet, which he moved from Spain to Bristol and then Southampton.
Waters and Clark met in Cornwall, planning to use the RHIB to rendezvous with SY Nomad at sea and offload the drugs for distribution across the UK.
Waters was also spotted buying GPS devices, thermal cameras, and other maritime gadgets, suggesting a well-planned operation.
Officials Praise Joint Operation
“This is another fantastic example of law enforcement and partner agencies working together to stop a huge amount of cocaine coming into the UK,” said NCA Senior Investigating Officer Ty Surgeon. “Clark and Waters, both with past drug trafficking convictions, had every part of this plan mapped out.”
NCA Deputy Director Matt Horne added, “The seizure has hit organised criminals hard and prevented this highly profitable drug from flooding UK streets, protecting communities from violent crime linked to drug supply.”
Border Force Maritime head Gordon Scarratt said, “Our cutter’s interception was crucial. Our crews patrol the UK coastline relentlessly, and intelligence-sharing makes sure operations have maximum impact.”
All five men remain in custody ahead of sentencing at Bristol Crown Court on Tuesday, 26 March.