Shock in Stratford: A 10-year-old disabled boy, Isaac Mansfield, has died after a urine test revealed exposure to cocaine. The boy’s death, first blamed on organ failure from a metabolic disorder, is now under fresh investigation.

Coroner Demands Answers Over Missed Cocaine Alert

Senior East London Coroner Graeme Irvine has opened an inquest into Isaac’s tragic death. At a pre-inquest hearing on Monday, May 12, he revealed that Isaac’s body was cremated before the cocaine result came to light.

“I have to work on the basis that somebody must have done something to expose Isaac to cocaine,” said Mr Irvine.

The Metropolitan Police previously investigated but found insufficient evidence to charge anyone. Detective Sergeant Jasmine Abbey told the court, “We don’t know how it was administered or if it was by a third party or inadvertently.”

Cocaine Exposure Detected Too Late

Isaac fell ill on September 6, 2023, at John F Kennedy Special School. He was rushed to Newham Hospital then transferred to St Mary’s Hospital’s paediatric ICU in West London, where he died four days later.

Doctors initially suspected a rare metabolic disorder. But a hospital toxicology report showed cocaine in Isaac’s system. Pathologist Dr Andreas Marnerides said cocaine was likely the trigger for fatal complications.

Family and Carers Face Intense Scrutiny

The inquest will probe the 36 hours before Isaac’s death, focusing on anyone with unsupervised access, including:

  • His father
  • Carers
  • School staff

Coroner Irvine criticised Isaac’s father for a “paucity of contact.” He skipped the hearing and may face a court warrant if he fails to appear next time.

Questions Over Hospital and Ambulance Handling

Isaac’s care at St Mary’s Hospital and the London Ambulance Service is also under the microscope. A safeguarding concern arose after Isaac’s father was reluctant to allow hospitalisation—information reportedly not passed on to ICU staff.

Added to the pile of concerns: a relative of Isaac holds a senior role at St Mary’s paediatric ICU, sparking fears about possible conflicts of interest.

Next Steps: Inquest Postponed

The final inquest hearing, initially set for June 12, 2025, has been postponed. More evidence and witness statements need to be reviewed before the case can proceed.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE