Government Scrambles to Save Boy’s Life as UN Steps In

The UK government has urgently asked judges to pause the withdrawal of life support for 12-year-old Archie Battersbee following a plea from a United Nations committee. The case is now heading to the Court of Appeal, with a hearing set for 11 a.m.—just hours before life support is due to be switched off at 2 p.m. on Monday.

Archie’s Fight for Life in the Balance

Archie was found unconscious at his Essex home in Southend on April 7. Since then, he has never regained consciousness. His mother, Hollie Dance, believes Archie’s condition may result from his involvement in a dangerous online challenge.

Currently being treated at the Royal London Hospital, doctors have declared Archie brain-stem dead and advised that continuing life support is not in his best interest. Last week, the Court of Appeal ruled doctors could legally switch off his ventilator, following decisions by two High Court judges.

UN Committee Demands Life Support Stay

Archie’s family appealed to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNRPD), which has a protocol allowing complaints about violations of disabled people’s rights. The committee urgently requested that Archie’s life support be kept running while it reviews the family’s case. The government has now agreed and a legal stay halts treatment withdrawal until Monday at 1 p.m.

“This was not a ‘request,’ but a UN interim measures injunction,” said Ms Dance. “Being told that Archie’s life support will be removed tomorrow at 2 p.m. has been terrifying. We were already broken, and not knowing what would happen next was excruciating.”

Government and Legal Teams Brace for Monday Showdown

The Christian Legal Centre is backing Archie’s family in their fight. Alistair Chesser, chief medical officer at Barts Health NHS Trust, expressed sympathy: “Our deepest sympathies are with Archie’s family at this difficult time.” He added the hospital’s plan to withdraw treatment will go ahead unless the courts say otherwise.

The government confirmed it asked the High Court to urgently consider the UN committee’s request, given the UK’s signature on the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. This enables the UN to request postponement of life support withdrawal during investigations.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: “We recognise this is an exceptionally difficult time for Archie Battersbee’s family, and our thoughts are with them.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE