Tommy Robinson’s bid to challenge his prison conditions has been smashed by the High Court in London. The controversial English Defence League founder, real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, has spent 142 grueling days in what his legal team calls solitary confinement at HMP Woodhill.

High Court Dismisses Robinson’s Appeal

Robinson has been locked up since October 28, sentenced for contempt of court over his explosive documentary “Silenced”, which has gone viral with over 163 million views on X (formerly Twitter).

But on Friday, Justice Chamberlain threw out the appeal for a judicial review. The judge ruled Robinson’s conditions don’t amount to solitary confinement and don’t breach Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which bans inhumane treatment.

“It is not accurate to refer to Mr Yaxley-Lennon’s regime as ‘solitary confinement’ at all,” said the judge. “While I accept that the absence of association with other prisoners has an effect on his mental health, it is not arguable that the regime as a whole gives rise to a breach of Article 3.”

Prison Tightens Security Over Communications

The court also backed HMP Woodhill’s decision to restrict Robinson’s contact with certain individuals suspected of managing his social media. Justice Chamberlain called it a “proper response” to worries his imprisonment might fuel public campaigning.

Explosive Courtroom Drama & Phone Censorship

The hearing took a dramatic turn when Robinson, appearing via video link, was seen holding up handwritten notes after his phone cut off mid-call with his solicitor. The messages read: “Silenced,” “They Cut My Phone Off,” and “My Calls Are Monitored.”

Court observers noted the Zoom link revealed contradictions between Ministry of Justice claims and the real situation – Robinson was isolated at his cell door without legal support. The judge paused the hearing to let Robinson speak with his lawyers.

Robinson’s solicitor later confirmed the prison had indeed cut the call. In response, Justice Chamberlain ordered the prison to guarantee Robinson proper access to his legal team.

Legal Battle Rages On

Despite the setbacks, Robinson’s camp, said to be backed by none other than Elon Musk, has filed a fresh appeal challenging his sentencing. The case is set for a hearing on April 11.

The saga keeps sparking fiery debates. Supporters claim Robinson is a victim of political punishment, while critics insist his contempt charges stand on solid legal ground.

So far, HMP Woodhill and the Ministry of Justice have stayed mum, offering no official response to the allegations swirling around the case.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE