Step-Mum Emma Tustin Convicted of Murdering Six-Year-Old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes
Emma Tustin has been found guilty of murdering Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, who was just six years old when he died from a severe head injury. Arthur’s father, Thomas Hughes, was convicted of manslaughter today (Wednesday 2 December).
Horrific Campaign of Abuse Uncovered
Arthur died on 17 June last year after suffering relentless cruelty from Tustin and Hughes. The little boy was forced to stand for hours and endured repeated physical assaults.
Paramedics were called to their Cranmore Road, Shirley home on 16 June 2020, where Arthur was found unconscious. Despite intensive hospital care, he passed away at 1am the next day.
The couple’s stories claimed Arthur’s injuries were self-inflicted by banging his head. But CCTV footage, phone records, and messages told a far darker tale—one of systematic abuse driven by anger and cruelty.
Grim Evidence: CCTV, Messages, and Audio Revealed Abuse
- Investigators analysed hours of home CCTV and hundreds of videos, audios, and messages from the couple’s phones.
- They found Arthur forced into isolation, punished for trying to ease discomfort and cruelly insulted.
- Arthur had no personal space; his duvet was stuffed in a cupboard, and he was made to sleep on the living room floor.
- Tustin’s phone held over 200 audio recordings of Arthur begging for food, water, and help.
- Neighbours heard Tustin shouting “face the wall” and were told by Hughes to ignore cries for help.
Detective Inspector Laura Harrison said: “An innocent boy was subjected to a campaign of cruelty by the very people who were meant to be loving and protecting him.”
Fatal Blow and Final Acts of Neglect
On the day Arthur was fatally injured, Hughes left the house just after 1pm, leaving Arthur alone with Tustin. Only she knows exactly how he suffered the blow that killed him.
CCTV showed Tustin failed to call for an ambulance for 12 crucial minutes while moving Arthur around the house. Hughes returned and they attempted to give him paracetamol before finally calling 999.
Both Tustin and Hughes understood the severity of Arthur’s injuries but delayed emergency help, described by police as a final act of cruelty.
Medical Experts Detail Shocking Abuse
Arthur had more than 100 bruises of varying ages across his body, incompatible with accidental injury. Experts confirmed a child his age could not cause such damage to himself.
Medical evidence also revealed Arthur’s salt levels were dangerously high, suggesting he was either force-fed salt or repeatedly poisoned over time.
Convictions and Upcoming Sentencing
- Emma Tustin, 32, was convicted of murder and multiple child cruelty offences.
- Thomas Hughes, 29, was found guilty of manslaughter and two counts of cruelty.
- Tustin admitted earlier charges of ill-treating Arthur by forced standing and intimidation, and was convicted of cruelty by withholding food and administering salt.
- Hughes was cleared of murder but found guilty of assault and cruelty by forced standing and isolation.
The pair will be sentenced tomorrow. The devastating case has shocked the nation, exposing the horrors Arthur endured behind closed doors.