Gunmen Massacre 10 at Busy Bamenda Junction
Horror hit Bamenda in Cameroon’s troubled northwest as gunmen opened fire at a crowded junction, killing 10 and injuring two. The attack happened on Sunday, with locals targeted for allegedly not backing separatist rebels, said the regional governor.
Attackers Storm Busy Spot, Open Fire Without Mercy
Witnesses told how gunmen in military uniforms rolled up in two vehicles around 7.30pm at Nacho Junction, a bustling hub packed with restaurants, bars, and shops. They ordered people to lie down, then blasted away as some tried to escape. The killers vanished into the night, leaving chaos behind.
Separatists Deny Role, Blame Revenge Plot
The Ambazonia Defence Forces (ADF), the main separatist group, denied any part in the shooting. Their spokesman, Lucas Asu, hinted the attackers might have been imposters seeking revenge. The North West region governor, Adolphe Lele Lafrique, launched a manhunt for the “terrorists” and promised a full investigation with details to come.
Conflict Roots and Human Rights Horror
The violence stems from long-standing tensions between Cameroon’s French-speaking government and English-speaking separatists. Since 2017, protests over marginalisation have exploded into a bloody conflict killing over 6,000. The ADF and other factions clash amid claims of political and economic injustice linked to different legal and education systems.
Earlier this month, Amnesty International slammed all sides—government forces, militias, and separatists—for shocking abuses including killings, rape, torture, and arson in Cameroon’s Anglophone regions. The report exposed widespread threats and arrests of critics daring to speak out.