WWII Bomb in Kingston Blown Up Safely
The Army carried out a controlled explosion of a World War II bomb at 4.16pm today, Friday 24 May, after it was found at a construction site in Kingston. The device, discovered on Fassett Road, triggered a major emergency response involving the Metropolitan Police, Army, London Fire Brigade, and Ambulance Service.
Residents Evacuated, Minimal Damage Reported
Police were alerted around 9.15am on Thursday 23 May when the suspected bomb was uncovered. Specialists confirmed the threat and called in the Army. Dozens of local residents and businesses were evacuated as a precaution.
So far, damage has been limited to within a 50-metre radius of the blast site. Cordons remain in place while authorities assess the area, but these are expected to be reduced shortly.
Local Authorities Praise Community for Cooperation
“I would like to thank all local residents and business owners who have been displaced by this inconvenience,” said Chief Superintendent Sally Benatar, South West BCU Commander. “The response from the community and Kingston Council has been so understanding and we are grateful. Your safety was our top priority throughout.”
“The detonation was handled with utmost seriousness. Thanks to the Army and emergency services for their support. We are working quickly to get residents back home, but no timescale can be given yet due to ongoing structural assessments.”
Ongoing Disruptions and Support Available
Some utility disruptions may continue over the coming week due to the incident. Anyone affected is urged to call Kingston Council’s 24/7 contact line on 020 8547 5800.
Cllr Liz Green, Leader of Kingston Council, said, “Thanks to police, Army, and emergency crews for managing this safely. Huge thanks to our local community, businesses, and voluntary groups who have provided food and provisions. We will continue supporting residents until they can return home.”