Mo Farah Reveals Shocking Truth: “I’m Not Who You Think I Am”

Britain’s sporting legend Sir Mo Farah has dropped a bombshell. In a new BBC documentary airing this Wednesday, the 39-year-old admits his real name isn’t Mohamed Farah. Born in Somaliland, he claims his birth name is Hussein Abdi Kahin.

Farah says he was trafficked to the UK as a child by an unknown woman. He was forced to assume the identity of a boy named Mohamed Farah and made to work as a servant.

“The truth is that I’m not who you think I am. Most people know me as Mo Farah, but that is not my name or reality,” Farah reveals.

A Harrowing Childhood Hidden in Plain Sight

Previously, Mo said he came to the UK as a refugee with his parents. Now he tells a more harrowing tale. His father was killed in Somalia’s brutal civil war. Separated from his mother at a young age, he was taken to Djibouti by an unknown woman when he was just eight or nine years old.

Farah thought he was going to live with relatives in Europe. Instead, upon arrival in the UK, the woman tore up his papers and left him stranded.

“I knew I was in trouble at that point,” he says.

Forced Labour, Silence and Escape Through Athletics

Farah was forced into housework and childcare, under threat:

“Don’t say anything if you ever want to see your family again.”

Athletics became his only escape. Eventually, he confided in his PE teacher Alan Watkinson, who alerted authorities. Farah was then placed with a trusted family friend, living there for seven years. He gained British citizenship in 2000.

The Olympic hero credits his children for giving him the courage to share his story.

“I’ve kept it for so long, it’s been difficult because you don’t want to face it… My children frequently ask, ‘Dad, how come this?’ And you always have an answer for everything, but you don’t have an answer for that.”

Looking Back, Wishing Well for the Real Mohamed Farah

Despite his triumphs – including six World Championship golds and Olympic glory – Farah still wonders about the boy whose identity he took.

“I often think about the other Mohamed Farah, the boy whose seat I took on that plane, and I really hope he’s OK.”

The UK Refugee Council praised Sir Mo’s bravery. They said on Twitter:

“There are thousands of people like Sir Mo in this country – people who have made new lives here and make incredible contributions. His bravery in telling his story inspires all who advocate for a fair and humane asylum system.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE