Thanet Man Jailed for Brutal Bloodied Attack Leaving Victim Seriously Injured
A 40-year-old man from Thanet has been locked up for six years after a savage assault that left his victim fighting for life. The shocking attack happened in the early hours of Friday, 18 August, at a Cliftonville home on Athelstan Road, Margate.
Police Confront Blood-Stained Attacker
Kent Police arrived at the scene following reports of a disturbance. When officers knocked, Stuart Rigden answered the door, casually claiming, “It’s all fine.” But the blood on his clothes and the living room floor told a very different story.
Victim Found Unconscious with Serious Injuries
Inside, officers discovered a man in his 30s unconscious and severely hurt. Rushed to a London hospital, the victim suffered broken ribs, internal bleeding, and facial injuries requiring urgent care.
Night Out Turns Violent
- Police probe revealed the pair knew each other and had been out in Ramsgate the previous night.
- Witnesses saw them argue in a bar before the victim stormed off.
- Two hours later, Rigden returned by taxi and carried out the attack at the home.
At Canterbury Crown Court on Friday, 4 May, Rigden, who has no fixed address, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm. He was sentenced to six years behind bars, slapped with a £170 victim surcharge, and banned from contacting the victim for five years under a restraining order.
Detective Constable Kerry Whiting said: “The victim was subjected to a brutal attack and left unconscious by Rigden, who tried to suggest everything was fine when police came round.
The injuries were serious, and if untreated, could have led to tragic consequences.
I hope this court result brings reassurance to the victim. I thank him for supporting the investigation and wish him all the best for the future.”