Covid Cases Climb Again in Southwark and Lambeth
Leaders Warn of Rising Coronavirus Rates
Southwark and Lambeth council chiefs have sounded the alarm over a fresh surge in COVID-19 infections. “Cases are rising across the country, and last week we saw an uptick here in Lambeth,” said Cllr Jack Hopkins, Lambeth’s leader, in a direct email to residents.
Though Lambeth’s rise isn’t as steep as other areas, Hopkins stressed caution. “We all need to act carefully and keep the welfare of our neighbours and fellow residents in mind.” The latest data shows Lambeth’s seven-day case rate at 30 per 100,000 people—just below the 40 per 100,000 threshold where local restrictions might kick in.
Southwark’s Outgoing Leader Issues Urgent Covid Warning
Cllr Peter John, stepping down as Southwark’s leader this week, echoed the warning in his farewell newsletter. “COVID-19 cases in Southwark are climbing. Numbers are rising across London and much of the country,” he said. “We all need to follow the rules to stop the spread.”
On Tuesday, John chaired his final London Recovery Board meeting—a body coordinating the city’s pandemic response. London Mayor Sadiq Khan gave a grim update: “The evidence shows we’re about to embark on a second wave.”
Health Experts Brace for Second Covid Wave
Earlier this month, Southwark’s acting public health director laid out a five-point action plan to tackle the climbing cases.
At last week’s annual public meeting, Dr Simon Stedden, medical director at Guy’s and St Thomas’, shared cautious optimism. He reported that in early September, SE1 hospitals had zero COVID patients in intensive care—the first time since March.
But with cases on the rise again, the pressure is back on Londoners to stay vigilant.