Man, 24, Arrested After Deadly Mitcham Stabbing
A 24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a fatal stabbing in Mitcham earlier this week.
Stabbing Shocks Local Community
At around 7.30pm on Monday, April 28, police were called to an address on Maple Close, off Oakleigh Way in the Eastfields area, following reports of a stabbing.
A 39-year-old man was found with serious stab wounds. Paramedics treated him at the scene before rushing him to hospital, but he sadly died from his injuries.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed the suspect voluntarily attended a south London police station the next day and was taken into custody. He remains under investigation.
Residents Demand Answers as Police Boost Patrols
Locals revealed the victim lived on Maple Close with his family and was well known in the community. Witnesses said the stabbing erupted after an argument with another man who frequented the area.
A Met Police spokesperson said: “In light of the incident, patrols are being stepped up in the local area to provide reassurance to residents.”
Murder Probe Underway – Police Issue Witness Appeal
Detective Chief Inspector Alison Foxwell, leading the investigation, said:
“The victim’s loved ones are being supported by specially trained officers. They have our deepest sympathies following this terrible loss.”
DCI Foxwell urged anyone with information to come forward urgently:
- Call 101 quoting CAD 6812/28APR
- Contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111
Police are especially keen to hear from anyone with dashcam, doorbell, or CCTV footage from Maple Close or Oakleigh Way around the time of the attack.
The victim has not been formally named. A post-mortem is expected in the coming days as detectives continue their investigation.