The judge sentencing triple murderer Kyle Clifford has issued a powerful rebuke after the killer once again refused to face court, prompting the judge to consider placing him in restraints in his wheelchair to ensure he attends his sentencing.

Clifford, 26, is due to be sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court for the brutal murders of Louise Hunt, her mother Carol Hunt, and her sister Hannah Hunt, whom he attacked in a calculated crossbow and knife rampage in Bushey, Hertfordshire in July 2023.

Despite the gravity of the proceedings, Clifford has continued to refuse to appear in person or via video link from HMP Belmarsh, where he is being held.

Judge Condemns Absence in Courtroom

Mr Justice Bennathan, addressing the court on Tuesday (March 11), said he had been asked by prison staff whether he would authorise restraints to force Clifford to attend via video. He declined the request but delivered a damning statement:

“The defendant was asked to attend here or on the video link and refused. I then had an inquiry from Belmarsh as to whether I would order restraints so he should be brought to the video room.

“I have declined on the basis that the idea of a man in a wheelchair being put in restraints and potentially disrupting these proceedings is simply not appropriate or suitable.”

“If the defendant lacks the courage to face today, so be it — but I’m conscious part of this morning will be people paying tribute to the three women who died, and I’m not having that disrupted by anything.”

Chilling Details of Murder and Rape

Clifford, who had previously pleaded guilty to the three murders and was convicted of raping his former partner Louise Hunt, had planned the attack meticulously after their 18-month relationship ended, prosecutors said.

The court heard how he gained access to the family home by deceiving Carol Hunt, stabbed her to death, then lay in wait for Louise, whom he restrained, raped in a “violent, sexual act of spite,” and murdered with a crossbow. When Hannah Hunt, 28, returned home from work, Clifford fatally shot her as well.

Influences of Misogyny and Violence

Prosecutor Alison Morgan KC told the court that Clifford had displayed a long history of misogynistic behaviour, including searching for Andrew Tate’s podcast the night before the murders.

“Andrew Tate can properly be described as a poster boy for misogynists — a poster boy for those who view women as possessions to be controlled,” she said.

“In that context, and in light of all the other background material, it is no coincidence, the prosecution submits, that it was Andrew Tate that the defendant turned to the night before he would go off to commit these acts of violence against women.”

Troubling Background and Army History

Clifford, formerly of Enfield, had previously served in the army but was deemed “wholly unsuited to military employment”, the court heard. He was involved in several alcohol-fuelled incidents and made crude, demeaning remarks about women to colleagues.

His commanding officer noted his disturbing attitude, and supervisors described him as immature, misogynistic, and lacking empathy, even speaking in vulgar terms about women in the workplace.

Courtroom Tributes and Victims Remembered

During Tuesday’s sentencing hearing, tributes were expected to be paid to Louise, Carol, and Hannah Hunt, who were described by loved ones as kind, compassionate, and deeply loved members of their community.

Clifford, who attempted to take his own life with a crossbow following the attack, had previously attended earlier court hearings via video link but has since refused further appearances.

He is facing life imprisonment for three counts of murder, rape, false imprisonment, and two counts of possessing an offensive weapon.

‘No Justice Without Accountability’

As emotional tributes were delivered in court, Mr Justice Bennathan made clear that while the law will impose the maximum possible punishment, Clifford’s refusal to face those he hurt will not diminish the memory of the women whose lives he destroyed.


For the latest developments on this case and other breaking news across London and the UK, follow MyLondon News.

Recommended for you

Must READ

More For You

More From UK News in Pictures

More From UKNIP