A 20-year-old man who sexually assaulted a homeless woman on a busy Cardiff street has been sentenced to four years in a young offenders’ institute.
Morgan Kemble, of Brackla, Bridgend, approached the vulnerable woman as she sat outside a shop in Cardiff, wrapped in a sleeping bag, before committing the disturbing act in broad daylight.
Details of the Assault
During the hearing at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court last Tuesday, the court was told how Kemble approached the victim, sitting alone on the street, and made an inappropriate comment:
“Beautiful, what are you doing?”
Prosecutor Bethan Evans described how Kemble then sat down next to the woman, draping his arm around her shoulders. Despite her repeated attempts to pull away and her clear discomfort, Kemble persisted, placing his hands beneath the sleeping bag and sexually assaulting her by touching her genitals.
The victim, visibly shaken, managed to call for help, prompting passersby to intervene. Kemble was arrested at the scene and later bailed pending investigation.
Breach of Non-Molestation Order and Further Crimes
The court heard that, after being bailed, Kemble violated a non-molestation order by visiting his parents’ property, where he claimed he was feeling suicidal. His family, feeling intimidated, allowed him to stay.
Two days later, suspicious transactions on his mother’s bank card—totaling £76.83—were flagged. Reviewing their doorbell camera footage, Kemble’s mother saw him entering the house using a key he had previously been asked to return.
Kemble was subsequently charged with:
- Breach of a non-molestation order
- Fraud by false representation
- Burglary
- Sexual assault
Sentencing and Previous Offences
Kemble pleaded guilty to all charges. The court also heard that he had eight prior convictions, including:
- Robbery
- Criminal damage
- Shoplifting
Judge Richard Harrington described Kemble’s actions as “predatory” and noted the emotional impact on the homeless victim, who was already in a vulnerable situation.
Kemble was sentenced to:
- Three years in a young offenders’ institute for his prior offences
- An additional year for the recent sexual assault and related crimes, to be served consecutively, bringing his total sentence to four years.
Impact on the Victim and Community
The victim, who has not been named for legal reasons, described the assault as “deeply traumatic,” leaving her feeling unsafe and even more vulnerable in the streets where she lives.
Detective Inspector Sarah Rees from South Wales Police commended the victim’s bravery:
“This was a horrific and predatory attack on a vulnerable member of our community. The courage shown by the victim in coming forward has ensured that Kemble is now off the streets and unable to harm others.”
A Call for Awareness
The case has sparked outrage among local communities, with advocacy groups calling for better protection and support for homeless individuals, particularly women who face increased risks of violence and sexual assault.
Laura Jenkins, a spokesperson from Cardiff’s Homelessness Outreach, said:
“This tragic incident highlights the extreme vulnerabilities homeless people face every day. No one should have to endure what this woman went through, especially in public spaces where they should feel somewhat safe.”
How to Help
Authorities are urging the public to remain vigilant and to report suspicious behavior, particularly around vulnerable communities.
If you or someone you know is experiencing sexual assault or harassment, you can contact:
- Rape Crisis England & Wales: 0808 802 9999
- South Wales Police (non-emergency): 101
- In an emergency, always dial 999.
For those looking to support homeless individuals, local charities such as The Wallich and Shelter Cymru are actively working to provide resources, safety, and advocacy.
Kemble will remain in the young offenders’ institute until at least 2029 before being eligible for parole.