A protester from south London, Simon Parry, has had his appeal against his conviction for stalking former cabinet minister Sir Gavin Williamson rejected.
Parry was found guilty of “persistently following” Sir Gavin, the former education and defence secretary, on two occasions last year. The incidents occurred on May 24 and June 14, 2023.
On Wednesday, Southwark Crown Court was told that Parry was originally sentenced to 10 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, following a hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in November 2023. The sentencing came a month after his conviction for stalking at a City of London Magistrates’ Court trial.
Sir Gavin, who was recently elected to the new Stone, Great Wyrley and Penkridge seat, was pursued by Parry, 45, of Walworth, south London. Video footage captured by Parry during the incidents showed Sir Gavin being bombarded with questions and statements about conspiracy theories related to coronavirus, Bill Gates, and the World Economic Forum.
A panel led by Mr. Justice Joel Bennathan rejected Parry’s appeal, noting that while Parry may not have perceived his actions as stalking, Sir Gavin had been left “scared” by the encounters.
Sir Gavin testified at Southwark Crown Court, describing his desire to “get out” after being first approached by Parry as he walked from Whitehall towards Parliament on May 24. He recounted feeling “stressed” by the interaction and described Parry as “very hostile, very assertive,” adding, “I was being filmed with these uneasy statements being made. It felt like someone was trying to trap you.”
The court heard that on June 14, Parry followed Sir Gavin again for 22 minutes as he walked from the parliamentary estate towards Euston train station. Upon reaching the station, Parry threatened Sir Gavin with a citizen’s arrest.
As a result of these incidents, Sir Gavin expressed concerns about his family’s safety in London, stating, “My family in Staffordshire always felt safe in my constituency. It makes me wonder about having my family in London… I would be mortified if my children had to experience that.
Parry maintained that he did not believe his actions constituted stalking, claiming to have had similar encounters with other politicians, including now Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and former Tory frontbencher Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg. Regarding his interaction with Sir Gavin, Parry said, “I just wanted to ask him one question and that’s what I waited for. It could have been over in one minute.”
Supported in court by Piers Corbyn, Parry likened his actions on camera to the 1990s show Trigger Happy TV, where public stunts were performed to shock and entertain.
The court’s decision reaffirms the initial conviction, emphasizing the severity and impact of Parry’s actions on Sir Gavin