A man who carried out a series of knife-point robberies across Gillingham has been jailed for six years.
Jack Holland-Batt, 31, of Stopford Road, Gillingham, was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Tuesday 11 March 2025 after pleading guilty to two counts of robbery, one count of attempted robbery, and possession of a bladed article in a public place.
https:///youtu.be/JUiY1m7olEY
The violent spree began around midday on 25 November 2024 when Holland-Batt entered a pharmacy on Canterbury Street and threatened a staff member with a knife, demanding money. The terrified victim handed over around £20 from the till, but Holland-Batt became increasingly aggressive and demanded more cash before fleeing when told there was none.
Shortly after, he entered an amusement arcade on Green Street and again brandished a knife at an employee, demanding access to the safe. When told there was no money, he walked out. Moments later, he targeted a third business on the High Street, where a distressed worker fled to a back room under the pretense of retrieving keys. When she returned, Holland-Batt had already left.
In a surprising turn, the offender later contacted Kent Police to confess to the crimes, though he did not disclose his location. Officers quickly located him at an address he was known to frequent and arrested him as he approached the front door. He initially attempted to give a false name but was swiftly taken into custody.
Detective Constable Emma Laimbeer, who led the investigation, praised the swift police response and the bravery of the victims.
“This criminal pulled a knife on three people who feared they were in real danger of being stabbed,” she said. “Nobody should suffer violence whilst at work, and I would like to thank the victims who assisted our investigation and ensured this criminal has been brought to justice.”
Holland-Batt’s sentencing brings closure to a frightening incident that shook local workers but also highlights the effectiveness of quick police action and community cooperation.