A man has been convicted of murdering a 60-year-old in a brutal attack at a disused pavilion in Redbridge.

Marius Ziugzda, 48, of no fixed address, was found guilty on Friday, 17 January, at Wood Green Crown Court following a two-week trial. The victim, Brian Shields, was killed by blunt force trauma to his head and chest on 20 October 2022, injuries consistent with multiple punches or kicks.

The Incident

Police were called to Orchard Playing Fields (formerly Goodmayes Park Extension) at 11:14hrs on the morning of the attack after reports of an unresponsive man. Despite the efforts of emergency services, Brian Shields was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ziugzda, who had shared the pavilion with Shields, approached the police cordon, claiming he had been with the victim the previous evening. He initially told officers: “I killed him today, I don’t know what…” before making further unclear comments and admitting, “my friend, in the morning I killed him, now…”

Evidence Contradicts Claims

During the investigation, Detective Sergeant David Brooks from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command said:
“Despite Ziugzda’s claims that he and Brian were friends, he subjected him to a sustained and ultimately fatal attack. This verdict is a testament to the hard work of the investigation team, the numerous witnesses who came forward, and the efforts of the wider police team.”

Ziugzda told detectives that he and Brian had been drinking and smoking together the night before the murder and that he had left briefly to buy water from a local shop. He claimed Brian was uninjured when he returned and that both men later fell asleep.

However, CCTV evidence revealed discrepancies in his account. Footage showed Ziugzda at a nearby shop with red staining on his trousers, later confirmed through forensic analysis to be Brian Shields’ blood. Witnesses also reported hearing loud, aggressive shouting between two men at around 11pm near the pavilion.

Arrest and Conviction

Ziugzda was arrested and charged with murder on 23 October 2022. His claims that the police had misunderstood his earlier comments were undermined by the forensic and witness evidence presented at trial.

Sentencing

Ziugzda has been remanded in custody and is scheduled to be sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Thursday, 13 February 2025.

This conviction serves as a reminder of the police’s commitment to securing justice for victims of violent crime. Detective Sergeant Brooks added:
“While no sentence can bring Brian back, we hope this conviction brings some sense of justice to his family and friends.”

Recommended for you

Must READ

More For You

More From UK News in Pictures

More From UKNIP