Protesters gathered outside the Old Bailey in central London tonight, holding “Justice for Chris Kaba” signs after Metropolitan Police marksman Martyn Blake was found not guilty of murder. The verdict, which has sparked public outcry, follows the shooting of Chris Kaba, 24, in South London in September 2022.

Demonstrators Voice Anger and Grief

The demonstration included members of the Black Lives Matter movement and supporters of the Kaba family. Protesters displayed placards reading “Police are Perpetrators” and “Justice for Chris Kaba” while chanting slogans like “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now.” Many expressed their anger at the verdict, calling it an injustice.

Protestors Demand Justice for Chris Kaba Outside Old Bailey Following Acquittal of Met Marksman
Protestors Demand Justice For Chris Kaba Outside Old Bailey Following Acquittal Of Met Marksman

The Kaba family, who have been vocal throughout the trial, released a statement describing their “unimaginable grief” and disappointment with the outcome. “Today, we are devastated. The not guilty verdict leaves us with the deep pain of injustice, adding to the unbearable sorrow we have felt since Chris was killed,” the statement read.

Protestors Demand Justice for Chris Kaba Outside Old Bailey Following Acquittal of Met Marksman
Metropolitan Police Officer Charged In Chris Kaba Shooting To Be Named

Emotional Scenes Outside the Court

Emotional scenes unfolded outside the courthouse as protestors hugged each other, and some broke down in tears. Sheeda Queen, a cousin of Chris Kaba, addressed the crowd, calling the speed of Blake’s acquittal “shameful.” She said, “We had some hope, just a little, that maybe Chris’s case would be the first. Are we surprised though? So shameful that we are not surprised the verdict came back not guilty in a couple of hours.”

Protestors Demand Justice for Chris Kaba Outside Old Bailey Following Acquittal of Met Marksman
Rapper Stormzy Put In An Appearance At The Chris Kaba March On Saturday To Show Solidarity

Released Footage Shows Moment of Shooting

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) released dramatic footage showing the moment Blake fired the fatal shot through the windscreen of Kaba’s car. The video, captured from multiple police bodycams, depicts chaotic scenes as officers surrounded the Audi in Streatham. Kaba’s vehicle, which had been hemmed in by marked and unmarked police cars, was identified as being linked to a gang-related shooting the previous evening.

The footage shows officers shouting commands like “armed police, show me your hands” before Kaba attempted to reverse and accelerate his vehicle. A shot is heard, followed by shouts of “shots fired” and calls for “first aid.” The CPS explained that the video was released to provide transparency and context to the jury’s decision.

Public Backlash and Political Reactions

The acquittal has led to a fierce debate about police accountability, particularly in cases involving armed officers. Protesters outside the Old Bailey hurled accusations of “racism” and “corruption” at the police, with some bearing signs reading “ashamed to be white” and “born 1999, lynched 2022.” Demonstrators beat drums while chanting “no justice, no peace” as officers stood by watching the crowd.

Temi Mwale, of the Justice for Chris Kaba Campaign, addressed the protest, saying: “It is a falsehood to believe that we should justify these institutions, the policing, as the only thing that can keep us safe.” She added, “This is what this country likes, racism.”

https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSt0oRPFHTQ&t=22s

 

Reaction from Authorities and Impact on Policing

Following the acquittal, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) defended its decision to refer the case to the CPS. IOPC director Amanda Rowe said, “Today a jury, having considered all the evidence, has acquitted Police Sergeant Martyn Blake of murder. We appreciate this trial will have been of significant public interest, particularly within our Black communities.”

Rowe emphasized that the IOPC’s role is to independently investigate fatal police shootings, ensuring that officers are held accountable when necessary. “Under the law, firearms officers can use lethal force, however, it must be reasonable in the circumstances the officer honestly believed them to be,” she explained.

Fallout and Future Implications

The case has sparked concerns among firearms officers nationwide, leading to protests within the force. After Blake was charged, hundreds of officers handed in their firearms tickets, forcing Scotland Yard to put the Army on standby to maintain public safety. The controversy has also prompted a review by the Home Office on how firearms officers are held to account.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley previously warned that officers might be discouraged from volunteering for armed roles due to fears of legal repercussions. Reports have shown that firearms applications have dropped significantly, with only six new applicants in February this year.

The Kaba family is reportedly considering legal action against the Metropolitan Police, and an inquest into the incident is expected. Meanwhile, police forces across the UK face mounting pressure to reform practices and improve trust within communities.

The Justice for Chris Kaba Campaign vows to continue their fight for accountability, urging supporters to stand with them for systemic change.

Recommended for you

Must READ

More For You

More From UK News in Pictures

More From UKNIP