Boxing legend Mike Tyson has revealed the harrowing details of a medical emergency that forced him to postpone his highly anticipated fight against YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul earlier this year.
Tyson, 58, was hospitalized with a severe stomach ulcer in July, leading to the cancellation of the original fight date. The bout is now set to take place on November 15 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Tyson’s Health Scare
In Netflix’s new documentary Countdown: Paul vs Tyson, the former heavyweight champion detailed the terrifying moments that left him fearing for his life.
“A week and a half [before the incident], I was training and doing great,” Tyson said. “Then I started feeling tired. I was explaining to my trainer, I don’t know what is wrong with me.”
The situation escalated during a flight from Miami to Los Angeles. Tyson recalled:
“On the plane, I went to the bathroom and I threw up blood. The next thing I knew, I was on the floor. I was defecating tar.”
Doctors later discovered a two-and-a-half inch ulcer in Tyson’s stomach.
The boxer admitted he was scared for his life, saying:
“I asked the doctor if I was going to die, and she didn’t say no. She said, ‘We have options,’ and that’s when I got nervous.”
Ready to Return
Despite the setback, Tyson is determined to make his comeback. He told Netflix:
“I don’t want to die in a hospital bedroom. I want to die in the ring.”
Ahead of the fight, Tyson will undergo a health assessment by Texas licensing regulators to ensure he is fit to compete.
Safeguarding Concerns
The matchup between Tyson and Paul has raised concerns due to the 31-year age gap between the fighters—Tyson at 58 and Paul at 27. The fight will mark the largest age gap in professional boxing history.
Critics have questioned whether Tyson should return to the ring, particularly against a much younger opponent. Tyson, however, remains confident, vowing to “finish” Paul.
Fight Details
The fight will be contested over eight two-minute rounds, with both fighters wearing 14-ounce gloves and no headgear.
This marks Tyson’s first professional fight since 2005 and his first time in the ring since an exhibition match against Roy Jones Jr. in 2020. Jake Paul, meanwhile, last fought in February, defeating Ryan Bourland in the first round.
The fight will air on Netflix, adding to the growing hype surrounding this historic bout.
A Test of Legends
Fans and critics alike are eager to see how the fight unfolds, with Tyson determined to prove age is just a number and Paul aiming to cement his reputation as a formidable competitor in the boxing world.